Don’t stress about what shoes to wear with a black dress. Here are tips to choose the best shoe for every occasion.
I have a little black dress that’s been my go-to outfit for many events over the years. It’s a classic dress that I still love nearly 10 years after I bought it.
But while my favorite LBD hasn’t changed, the shoes that I wear with it have.
Sometimes I wear booties; other times I wear pumps. And when I’m not going to be standing a lot, I might wear high-heeled sandals.
Some people think black is boring, but it’s not because you have so many options with your shoes.
**This post contains affiliate links. If you click and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you). Read my affiliate disclosure for more info.**
Table of Contents
The best part about black dresses is that there are so many color options for shoes. You can go neutral with nude colors, you can go wild with animal prints, or you can go bold with bright pops of color.
Some of the best color shoes to wear with a black dress include:
- Color block
- Animal print
- Metallic (gold and silver)
- Bright colors (red, pink, blue, etc.)
The style of shoe depends on the style of your dress and the formality of the occasion. But there are so many options that you can play with your outfit to see what you like best! Check out some outfit ideas here in this blog post.
Other Things To Consider
While color and style are the most common things women consider when choosing shoes to wear with a black dress, there are other aspects to consider, too.
Choose a material that matches the occasion and the season.
For example, raffia is a great material for spring and summer, but it would look out of place during the winter.
A velvet or suede shoe, on the other hand, looks great during the fall and winter months.
A satin shoe is perfect for a more formal event, but wouldn’t go with a black t-shirt dress.
You don’t have to sacrifice your personal style if you don’t want to!
Love a bold style? Wear colorful shoes with your little black dress.
Hate high heels? Wear flats or low heels.
For my sister’s wedding, I bought these beautiful navy blue shoes with a black lace overlay to match my bridesmaid dress. They looked stunning, but they hurt like hell. I regretted my choice every moment of that day.
So consider comfort when choosing shoes to wear with your black dress. Wear flats if you’re going to be on your feet all day. Slip on low, block heels for a cocktail event rather than high stilettos. Try inserts to make your shoes a little more comfortable.
Before buying shoes to wear with your black dress, you should consider how else you’ll wear those shoes. Can you wear them with other color dresses? Can you wear them with jeans or trousers? Can you wear them to work?
Not all shoes will be versatile, and that’s okay. You probably won’t wear the same shoes to a formal event that you’d wear to a casual dinner party.
I like nude-colored leather shoes because they go well with so many colors and styles of dresses.
There used to be a time when the color of your shoes was supposed to match your belt and and your purse.
Luckily, this “rule” isn’t as strict for women, although I do find that it takes the guesswork out of accessorizing and it does look put together.
But while your shoes don’t necessarily need to match your accessories, they should complement them.
For example, if you’re going to carry a bright, bold purse, consider wearing black shoes with your black dress so the purse really stands out. Or you could wear bright, bold shoes that match or complement the purse. Another option is to carry a black purse so your bright, bold shoes stand out.
When I wear a black dress, I will only introduce one other color or print to the outfit so it will only have two colors. For example, if I’m wearing nude shoes, I’ll carry a nude or black purse. But if I’m wearing black shoes with my black dress, I can carry a purse in another color or print.
Shoes To Wear With a Black Dress: Outfit Ideas
Here are some outfit ideas that pair the best shoes to wear with a black dress. Remember that these are just a few options; the combinations are endless!
These are examples of what I’d wear. You can tell I don’t do much color in my wardrobe, but add some if that’s your style!
1. Saddle Leather Slide Sandals | 2. Suede Cut-Out Sneakers | 3. Black Fisherman Sandals | 4. Black Chelsea Boots | 5. Black Croc Combat Boots | T-Shirt Midi Dress
1. Black Stud Slide Sandal | 2. Nude Stud Heeled Sandals | 3. Gold Raffia Mule | 4. Black Ankle Strap Platform Sandal | 5. Two-Tone Block Heel Ankle Strap Sandal
1. Black Suede Pointed Toe Pumps | 2. Black Studded Mules | 3. Nude Slingback Pointed Toe Pumps | 4. Black Fisherman Block-Heel Sandals | 5. Black Croc Tall Boot | Black Work Dress
1. Tan Suede Pointed Toe Pumps | 2. Black Embellished Crystal Mules | 3. Leopard Velvet Ankle Strap Sandals | 4. Black Rhinestone Heeled Sandals | 5. Gold Block Heel Glitter Sandals | Black Cocktail Dress
1. Ivory Satin Rhinestone Ruffle Mid Heel Sandals | 2. Crystal Slip On Heeled Sandals | 3. Slingback High Heel Sandals | 4. Crystal Flat Toe-Loop Sandals | 5. Black Taffeta Platforms | Black Evening Gown
Final Thoughts on Shoes To Wear With a Black Dress
I hope that my favorite LBD lasts me at least another 10 years.
And I love thinking about what shoes I’ll wear with it next.
- What To Wear to a Baptism: 5 Tips for Looking Your Best
- How To Wear a Denim Jacket in Summer and Look Effortlessly Chic
- How to Wear Wide Leg Crop Pants
This post is about shoes to wear with a black dress.
Leave a Reply